May 1, 2009

Review: The Horrors/The Magic Wands concert



As I mentioned yesterday, I went to to the 9:30 Club in Washington DC to see The Horrors, The Kills and The Magic Wands. I didn't stay to see The Kills because I had school the next day, hence why I'm reviewing The Horrors and The Magic Wand.

First off. The Magic Wand; Alternative Dance/Indie band from Nashville, Tennessee/Los Angeles, California composed of guitarists/vocalists Chris and Dexy (don't know their last names) when Chris found a song on myspace that he would listen to all the time. He found that Dexy was singing. Although the two were 2000 miles apart (Chris living in Nashville and Dexy in LA), they became close friends, they'd send eachother old vinyl, letters and strange objects. Eventually they decided to form a band and thats how they ended up where they are now lol. Prior to seeing them I had never heard any of there music but I was very impressed (they sound better live than in studio).

Second, last and best. The Horrors; I've been following the horrors for a long time ever since a friend of mine (yes Paige. It was you lol) kinda introduced me to them. The Horrors were impressive. They haven't overtly changed as some have thought. The new stuff still has some of the Strange House qualities. Faris is a maniac when it comes to going on stage. Joshua got his hair cut. They don't seem to be wearing the make up (or is that for the photo shoots?) with the exception of Faris. Plus they only played the new stuff. Nothing from Strange House. This is probably because they're only an opening act now but if they ever come back (for the love of god please do!) they should definetly headline because they have the cult following to do that. Anyways great concert. I ended up getting a Horrors T-shirt and a button while I was there. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the band's onstage but I have pics of the merch I got;

Horrors T-shirt (front)


Horrors t-shirt (back)


Horrors button

I had a second button which had the horrors name and a red rose on it. But I dropped it on the floor of the 9:30 Club and lost it forever lol.

5 comments:

  1. That's an awesome shirt! What are the prices of the merch like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The T-shirt cost $25 and the button was $2

    ReplyDelete
  3. That T-shirt is fabulous, I hope they sell it when they are in England.
    RIP to your badge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want that t-shirt so bad i hope to god they sell them when they play manchester

    ReplyDelete